For those of you that feel that Ardy’s tear-jerking last day blog wasn’t enough, you are in luck, because after a fantastic two and a half months I am ending my summer at Cassels on Friday in favour of a not-quite-as-glamourous exchange to Northwestern Ontario.
So this is it- my last blog! It is really hard to believe the summer went by this fast, which sounds cliché, but is the truth! One thing that Leigh-Ann does with us every once in a while is a Tips and Tricks session where the students gather to teach each other the coolest trick that we learnt on the job. So as my FINAL BLOG as a Cassels Brock blogger, I am going to share with you the tips and tricks and insider info that I wish I knew a year ago, a month ago, and realistically a week ago.
- You don’t know what kind of work you want to do. So try it all!!!! I came into my summer knowing what work and what rotations I want to do, and trying things I didn’t care for only affirmed where my interests lie. I even came out of a litigation memo unscathed!!
- Lunch will become supper, supper will become lunch. You will not be able to resist the buffet and will eat a full roast beef dinner at noon. Embrace it.
- Time will become valuable. Whether it is the effect of normal working hours, or docketing your life in every 6 minutes you suddenly realize how valuable your time feels. I remember in January when my 12 hour a week school schedule was the most daunting thing I had ever encountered and now I can’t wait to enjoy all the “free-time” school has to offer (annnnd maybe a semester in Barbados also!).
- Prairie Girl Cupcakes. Not really a tip or trick, but how I lived without them before, I do not know.
- You will meet amazing people, make friendships, work with fantastic lawyers and do awesome work you never thought you could do… and it is only the summer!!!!!
Thanks for a great summer of blogging and thank you to 17 other wonderful summer students who made this experience a blast! To all you first years out there, you have four great people joining you in the CBB Summer Class of 2012!
PS- Stay tuned for a guest blog from Joel next Wednesday!